Big Upsets In First Day Of BOSJ
– Taka Michinoku def. Jushin Thunder Liger via pinfall with a roll-up
– Ricochet def. Taichi via pinfall with a shooting star press
– Marty Scurll def. Will Ospreay via submission with a crossface chickenwing
– Dragon Lee def. Hiromu Takahashi via pinfall with a phoenix plex
– Volador Jr. def. Tiger Mask via pinfall with a top rope spanish fly
– ACH def. BUSHI via pinfall with a michninoku driver
– El Desperado def. KUSHIDA via pinfall with a guitarra de angel
– Ryusuke Taguchi def. Yoshinobu Kanemaru via pinfall with a roll-up
– The big stories coming out of the first day were defeats for two of the pre-tournament favourites, last year’s winner Will Ospreay and the much-fancied KUSHIDA. Ospreay fell to long-time rival Marty Scurll, while KUSHIDA was beaten by the relatively unheralded El Desperado. New Japan have a history of beating their favourites early on and building comebacks for them, which is what is expected to be the case with Kushida.
– Scurll vs. Ospreay and Lee vs. Takahashi were the matches of the round. The former was particularly sensational, with the crowd hot throughout.
– Following his win over Hiromu Takahashi, Dragon Lee cut a promo saying he was thrilled to be there and that he was going to win the tournament.
Dragon Lee 2
Marty Scurll 2
Taka Michinoku 2
Hiromu Takahashi 0
Jushin Thunder Liger 0
Will Ospreay 0
El Desperado 2
Ryusuke Taguchi 2
Volador Jr. 2
Tiger Mask 0
Yoshinobu Kanemaru 0